👋 Hi, I'm Andrew M Westling, a software engineer in Brooklyn, NY.
I'm a designer-turned-engineer. I was going to be an architect, but then I got distracted by the web.
Monograph, Senior Front End Engineer
April 2021 — present, remote
Design system and feature development for Monograph's applications. Monograph makes tools to help architecture firms manage their projects, budgets, and tasks.
Better.com, Software Engineer
July 2018 — April 2021, New York City
Design system and feature development for Better's loan origination platform. Better.com is a mortgage lender.
- Founding member of Better's Design Systems team; built libraries to empower our engineering teams to build consistent and clean UIs (React, TypeScript, Theme UI, Storybook)
- Built assorted borrower-facing features (redisclosure service; "required assets and buffer" logic; authentication/session expiration; UX for uploading a competitor's loan estimate; loan overview page; etc.) (Ember, SCSS)
- Built integrations with sales and marketing tools (call scheduling, A/B testing, etc.) (Ember, Optimizely, Segment)
Architizer, Software Engineer
September 2015 — June 2018, New York City
Full-stack and front end feature development and infrastructure maintenance for Architizer’s platform to help architects find building products.
- Established and maintained a UI component system to speed up feature development, and improve collaboration with designers (React, Next.js, Storybook, styled-components, SCSS)
- Built large features, including a private messaging interface, and directory interfaces to Solr search indexes (AngularJS, SCSS, Django, Solr, Haystack)
- Extended integrations with external tools for analytics, error logging, marketing, and customer support (Segment)
- Optimized frontend infrastructure to speed up deployment and improve test coverage (Node.js, CircleCI, AWS, Docker, gulp)
- Cleaned up infrastructure, pruned AWS resources to reduce costs, and refactored stale application code
EyeCue Lab, Software Engineer
October 2014 — August 2015, Portland, Oregon
Internship-to-hire. Consultancy/agency setting. Built marketing pages and full-stack features for web applications and client projects.
July 2014 — October 2014, Portland, Oregon
Apple, AppleCare Advisor
June 2013 — May 2014, remote
Tier I technical phone support and customer service for macOS products while completing my degree.
JS/TS: TypeScript, React, Next.js, Ember.js, Node.js, AngularJS, GraphQL, webpack
UI: Storybook, Theme UI, styled-components, MDX, SCSS, Foundation, Bootstrap, Tachyons
Testing: Jest, Enzyme, Jasmine, Karma, Mocha, Chai, Selenium
General: Django, Docker, nginx, Solr, AWS, Segment, CircleCI, Heroku, Rails
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch), University of Oregon, 2014
Last updated: 2021-04-12